Information for New Students
how to find us
We are set within our own private grounds on the University of Kent campus. Once on University Road, look for the red ‘Chaucer College Canterbury’ sign (opposite the entrance to St Edmund’s School).
If you have not booked a transfer with us, please take a look at our location map with directions on how to find us.
identification & visa information
- Please remember to bring with you valid identification such as a passport or government issued ID card, as well as a valid visa (where necessary), in order for you to start your course.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct visa to remain in the UK. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa for more information.
arrival & accommodation
- Check-in is from 4pm and you are entitled to dinner on your first evening. Please notify us of your estimated arrival time.
- On arrival to Chaucer College, you will be greeted by one of our members of staff who will provide you with key information on the College.
- You will then be shown to your residential accommodation or introduced to your host family.
your first day
You will be met in reception at 8.30am by your teacher who will show you to your classroom. This is where you will have all of your lessons for the duration of the week.
During the first lesson you will sit a placement test in order to identify your level and allocate you to the most suitable class. Lessons will be a mixture of team and activity focused, designed to help you learn in a fun and practical way.
A mid-morning break is provided to give you a chance to refresh. Play some table-tennis, outdoor sports or practise your learning by chatting to your classmates. The tuck shop is also open during all break times.
Lunch is served at around 12.30pm. Choose from any one of our hot main dishes and soup, top with the varied salad bar and finish with some fruit or yoghurt.
Depending on the course you have chosen, you may have the afternoon free or have more lessons. During free time, be sure to take a tour of the local and surrounding areas to see what Canterbury has to offer!